Good afternoon friends,
Today’s post is a little different, as it will be my first Guest post.
I’d love to introduce you to one of my closest friends, Sophia Myambala (or Sunny as I call her)
This is some one who I adore, admire, and am so thankful that I met them.
We have been friends around 7 years now, and she inspires me everytime we talk. You know when someone was destined to come into your life, well that’s Sunny.
What inspires you?
– I’m honestly inspired by nature and elements. As a kid, I loved being outside, staring at the clouds, sun-gazing. We still had snow back then which made me happy. Now that I am an adult, whenever I feel the need to pause, nature always helps me to center and brings me home to my connection with people, animals and Spirit.
Who inspires you?
– Josh Littlejohn! He is this amazing Scottish man who founded the organisation Social Bite. They hire homeless people in their cafes to give them work experience, and their own income. He worked with the Scottish government and other organisations to create the Social Bite Village in Edinburgh, The Big Sleep Out and the Scottish British Awards. These are just a few things he has done that show me what I am capable of, in terms of the impact I could have if I use my imagination.
What change do you want to make in the world?
– Hmmm. I used to want to change the world, however, I’m working on changing myself. I hope to support people healing from trauma, to create safe spaces, and hopefully inspire future generations to be kind to one another.
What’s your last thought before bed?
– I go into meditation and prayer every night, yet I still find myself thinking about what to make for breakfast the next day lol.
What is something you’ve always wanted to learn to cook?
– Lasagna! I have made it a few times but I would like to be able to serve versions of it that meet all dietary requirements because it is such a delicious and filling dish!
What is one skill you’ve always wanted to master?
– Herbalism. I watched a documentary years ago about alternative medicine where I learnt that half the compounds found in medicine are derived from plants and immediately wanted to know more. I’ve learnt a few things along the way; How more common plants are used in teas, tinctures and aromatherapy. I hope to be competent enough one day to use the remedies to take care of family and friends.
What is one film you would recommend and why?
– Scott Pilgrim vs The World. It based on a graphic novel. It’s such a ridiculously funny movie. The protagonist, Scott, has to battle Romona’s seven evil ex’s in hopes to win her hand. It has the perfect blend of ‘coming of age’, romance, action, musical. Great cinematography.
What is your Favourite book?
– Brida by Paulo Coelho. I cried the first time I read it. It’s a story about a young Irish woman being initiated into two magic traditions; The Tradition of the Moon and The Tradition of the Sun – symbols of the masculine and feminine energy in us. We explore her loves, past lives, religion, her connection to the universe and its hidden truths. I fell in love with the book because of the way Paulo writes. I could see myself reflected in all his characters. The book helped me to enjoy reading again. I have read it every year for the past 4 years and keep learning something new.
What location has given you the best memories?
– Essaouria, Morrocco. This city has my heart! Each time I visit, I fall in love with the world and myself a bit more. It’s a white & blue themed artist city right on the coast. I love the music, the smells, the people are so friendly, the beach is so clean. You get this beautiful rush of the Arab and Berber culture, feeling that you’re a part of it instead of just a tourist. The last time I went, I discovered a camel park that is a place that mostly the locals hang out and hiked through it to the outskirts of the city.
What is your favourite quote?
– “Go confidently in the direction of your dreams” – Henry David Thoreau.
I hope you enjoyed my guest post, and a huge thank you to Sophia for sharing her thoughts with us.
If you’d like to follow/interact with her, you can find her details below.
And my social media if you are interested.